Thursday, March 6, 2014

Comfort


As my Bible was sitting out on the table this week, I came across some verses that reminded me of God's comfort.   As a single mom, I would look for all the verses that really spoke to my situation.  It was good to be broken and turn to God for help during those times. When I didn’t, heartache was all that was left because I was usually trying to take care of everything myself.  May you find comfort in these words as well.

Comfort, comfort my people, 
says your God. 
Speak tenderly to Jerusalem [God’s chosen people/now we are chosen],
and proclaim to her 
that her hard service has been completed [years of slavery],
that her sin has been paid for,
that she has received from the LORD’s hand 
double for all her sins. 

See God’s people [Jerusalem] kept wandering from God’s guidance and God wanted them to come back to Him. He goes on in the next set of verses to prophesy about the coming of Jesus and show His people the hope of their salvation and lives.

You who bring good tidings to Jerusalem, 
lift it up, do not be afraid; 
say to the towns of Judah,
Here is your God! 

He tends his flock like a shepherd; 
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young. 

I was very grateful for these verses when I was a single mom, they brought great comfort to me to know that Jesus, my Savior, was also my friend and shepherd. He was close to me and took care of me. I did not always know what to do and it was very difficult having no one to talk to about things such as a car repair, moving, going to back to school, purchasing this or that, but God....God was there. 

It also put me in my place to read such passages as....

Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket?

I was reminded of His Sovereignty as Ruler of all Mankind when I would read...

He brings princes to naught
and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing.
No sooner are they planted,
no sooner are they sown, 
no sooner do they take root in the ground, 
than He blows on them and they wither,
and a whirlwind sweeps them away like chaff. 

And in all my weariness and tiredness......I would find comfort in these...

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
the LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired or weary, 
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. 

~Isaiah 40

My sweet dears that kept me so busy!! :)  This picture is from 2007. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment