Saturday, July 5, 2014

He is your advocate.


I remember a time when lies were spoken about me.

It was a difficult time. I had just had the carpet ripped out from underneath me as my marriage was de-solving before my eyes. All of the 7 years and 3 kids later I was just trying to keep my head above water. Trying to please everyone and do the dishes.  Then one day I hear, ‘this isn’t going to work’. Wow. So as the weeks go by in a cloud of dismay, I suddenly hear from friends at the church we attended that there are lies being spoken about me regarding our marriage and who I am as a person. This is devastating. Why?, after all the hurt and abandonment would lies be spoken about me too? This didn’t make sense. Why additional hurt and daggers? I have been trying to raise our children and make my husband happy for years as I put my own needs aside and now, not only abandonment, but bad things are being said about me? It was so absurd that it was difficult sometimes not to just laugh. And laughing is what I needed at the time for sure.  A little less stress would have been nice, so laughing is actually a little of what I did and then I went to the Lord.

“In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.   You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors. 
But, I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple. Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies-- make straight your way before me.” ~ Psalm 5:3-8

I cried to God and He reminded me that He was and is my advocate. He was to defend me and no one else.  I was to rest in Him. This was not easy. I wanted so much to defend myself and go talking to anyone that may be believing the lies. However, I stepped back and stayed out of it. The Lord reminded me that he always brings the truth to the surface by what people are actually doing. I had kids to take care of and things to figure out and I did not need to be worrying about what people thought of me. I had no time for that. He also reminded me that my true friends would stand by me and those believing lies are obviously in the dark and not being true friends. I carried on. 

“Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit. Declare them guilty, O God!  Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you. "

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.” ~ Psalm 5:9-12

I began to rest and trust in my Savior and Lord. He walked beside me and helped me not just get through each day, but also find joy in Him throughout my days.  I encourage you to trust in God to be your advocate this day. Trust Him to take you through and bring you through with joy! Rest in Him this day. Read Psalm 5 again and again and be reminded of his care and love for you. Trust Him to take care of those people and things in your life that you have no control over and learn to let go. You are surrounded with favor as with a shield loved one, take joy in Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment